Sunday 7 April 2013

Basque Chicken

It's been a while since my last post....I haven't really done anything new worth posting anyway. I have a new cooking toy now: a 3L Pyrex casserole dish. Seriously it's like a super dish: cooks on gas/electric/halogen hobs, oven, microwave, fridge/freezer/dishwasher friendly! 

So I HAD to find a recipe to use it, I found this Basque chicken recipe on Tesco Real Food website. As normal it is edited to suit what I have to hand. It's yummy. Did put a little bit too much chilli flakes in so it was quite spicy! We had it with bread & butter, but I reckon it would definitely work with potato and possibly rice.


Unfortunately though I completely forgot to take pictures until it was already in the pot! Here's how I made it:

Basque Chicken

Serves: 4
Cooking time 1hr 10mins

8 Pieces chicken (thighs/legs are recommended)
3 peppers (1 of each colour preferrably), sliced
2 medium red onions, thickly chopped 
1 leek, thickly chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
150g bacon, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp tomato puree
270ml chicken stock (I used Bisto squeezy chicken gravy paste diluted)
180ml red wine
1 tsp chilli flakes
Salt & Pepper to season

1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a casserole dish and fry the chicken until browned. Remove the chicken and place to one side.

2. Heat the rest of the oil in the casserole dish, and add the veg and garlic and fry for a few minutes until soft. Add the bacon and fry for another few minutes.

3. Mix the tomato puree, stock, wine and chilli flakes in a jug, and pour over the veg. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to simmer for a few minutes.

4. Place the chicken on top of the veg/sauce mix, put the lid on tightly and cook in the oven for about an hour until the chicken is cooked through and the stock/wine has reduced.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment