Friday 16 August 2013

Pulled pork

I'd been fancying having a go at pulled pork for a while now. I got a new slow cooker book called "I <3 my slow cooker". Its a really good book, it has recipes for sauces, soups and puddings too!

2 tbsp brown sugar (I used caster sugar because that was all I had)
1tsp paprika
2tsp rosemary or thyme
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Boneless pork shoulder (I couldn't find shoulder so I've used fillet)
2 sliced onions
185ml dry white wine (I used dry cider)





1. Combine the sugar, paprika, herbs,  ginger and lemon zest and rub onto the pork.

2. Put the pork, onions and cider (or wine) into the slow cooker and cook on low for 12 hours.






3. Remove the pork from the cooker and wrap it in foil and leave to rest for 10 mins. Keep the iuices covered in the slow cooker to keep warm.


4. Put the pork on a plate and pull apart with 2 forks, and serve with mash or chips and use the juices to make gravy.


It was nice. I don't know if I'd use this exact recipe again, it wasn't as flavourful as I was hoping (might try something tomato based next time) but the gravy is what made it I think. It went down really nicely with an Oak aged or vintage Cider!

No comments:

Post a Comment